Funeral Help for Deaths Due to Covid-19
A few weeks ago FEMA announced a program to cover funeral expenses for those who died due to Covid-19. They recently released some new guidance although are not yet taking applications. Here’s what we know so far:
- The application process is going to be solely through a toll-free number—no web form available (yes, that’s bound to be a nightmare, I know!).
- The death must have been after January 20, 2020 and death certificate must have Covid-19 as reason or say Covid-19 suspected or underlying somewhere on the death certificate.
- There is no reimbursement for any costs paid for with a pre-paid burial account or other government or community program (e.g. if the VA paid funeral expenses).
- The applicant (but NOT the decedent) must be a US citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien and the death MUST have occurred in the US or US Territories.
- There is NO income or asset requirement, if you paid funeral expenses for someone who died of Covid and meet the other qualifications, you are eligible, no matter how much money you have.
If you or someone you know might qualify, here is the website for more information and where the phone number to apply should be posted when FEMA announces it.